The revised Early Years Foundation Stage and Development Matters guidance aim to ‘reset’ priorities within early years practice to improve the quality of care and education for all children, but particularly those from disadvantaged backgrounds.
Together, the new documents seek to address the current focus on tracking and evidencing ‘next steps’ for every child and instead prioritise:
- a broad and rich curriculum
- progression in children’s learning
- the learning needs of children most in need of support
- conversation with children and language development
- self-regulation and executive function, and
- working with parents and carers.